Thursday, March 14, 2013

A is for Adele "19"




Sorry for the delay in writing.  Work has been a little crazy for my life schedule, which means I needed an excuse for being extremely lazy in my personal journey.  I feel like the hare who decided to take a nap instead of just finishing the race.  The sad part is that I am finding more of myself reflected within this task than I thought I would.  The introspection and inspection, but also the lack on undivided attention.  Oh well.

The next album on my list is Adele's "19."  The hard part of trying to write about an album that almost everyone has heard is writing about an album that almost everyone has heard.  Whether it be the whole thing or just a couple tracks, I'm sure everyone knows about this album.  This and the next album.  I'm not really going to go too into this album by the tracks because, well, I don't feel like it. (Plus, I won't really add any tracks, because well, I'm sure you've heard them).

I will tell you what I think about it, though.  I remember when this came out.  There was that sudden burst of euro-blues, which means that a bunch of Brits tried to capture the sound of American r&b, but just couldn't quite pull it off.  The main reason they can't is because they don't know what it's like to live rural American hard times.  While I'm sure that Brits get the blues, they just don't get what the hard times we have are like.  They listen to the sounds, the styles, and the records, but they don't know the source.  What it's like to live in the middle of nowhere Missouri or the life of Mississippi Delta blacks or Southern mountain folks with super small roots.  What is sad is that the Brits love our rooted music more than we do.  They practice the sounds and perfect the notes, but they don't truly embrace the soul.  We love the sounds they make and buy their albums by the crate full, but we don't appreciate the people in our own backyards making the same music.  That is the British way.  You take the best from the rest of the world, while telling everyone they are lesser than you for it.  Have you ever heard real, authentic British music?  Really, have you?  Seriously think about it for a moment.

Name any great true British band.  Beatles?  American R&B.  Rolling Stones?  Led Zeppelin?  The Who?  The Police?  Nope.  Nada.  No way. Uh-uh.  Here in the states we have created all the sounds that everyone else wants.  Let's see.  Jazz is the truest American form of music.  It's roots come from Scott Joplin and ragtime, the original American music.  While country comes from mountain music which comes from old style European music, you can not name one foreign country musician.  Rock and Roll is ours, thanks to Chuck Berry.  R&B comes from gospel music, while also having roots in Delta Blues music.  Rap music from  R&B and one of the fastest growing styles of music for foreign countries.  I've heard German, French, Asian hip hop.  Never before there was rap were there foreign rappers.  Just saying.  The majority of the worlds music has major roots here in the states.  I mean shit, even parts of disco and techno come from here.  While the Euros might have started the major djing of it, they still used American records to make the desired beats.

This is not what I truly feel about Adele's music in all, but I know where the roots are.  Not to say she doesn't blossom all her own, because she does.  I never truly listened to this album until last night.  I was, and am still, amazed at it.  Not because of her range (which is incredible), but because I was expecting something different for a debut album.  Usually when a female singer debuts, there is more heartbreak and drama or the flip side, nothing but love and sugar.  This album has little of both.  This album is honest.  It is about her life, but not exaggerated for sales.  There is no dark side to her on "19."  Like I said, it's honest.

I also like the variety.  She uses the mellowness of soul music, while also finding great ways to showcase a 70's style r&b.  I like the piano and organ usage throughout the album.  It shows an appreciation for the roots of her style without trying to over do it.  There isn't a lot I feel I can really say about the album that hasn't already been said.  I like the album, but I would have to be in a certain mood in order to really listen to it.  I'm not going through a breakup or in love, so the album doesn't have a specific fit for my life right now.  For me, it's more of a mellow chilled out album that shows how beautiful music can be, if we truly allow it to be just that, music.

Next: Adele "21" - like you haven't heard this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment