Thursday, February 21, 2013

A is for A.A. Bondy

AA Bondy - Believers

About 4 years ago, I was living in Tampa, Fl.  A good friend of mine had been talking about a tv show with some of her friends and I asked her about it.  The show happened to be called "Parenthood."  I was hanging out with her one day when it was on and watched it with her.  It was an unbelievable show.  The more I watched, the more I loved the show.  Not just becuase of the show, but because of the music.  They always find the right music for the right emotion that is being protrayed.

During the third season, after I moved back to Charlotte, I was enjoying the storyline of the brothers opening up a studio in San Fran.  During the episode, I was introduced to an artist named AA Bondy.  Mr. Bondy is from Birmingham, Alabama, which is where some of my family lives.  After learning which songs were on the episode, I decided to dig through the internet to find more of his music.

The album "Believers" was released in 2011.  AA is a folk singer, but not in the mindset of an overly bluesy, folk singer. To me, I find his voice to be melodic and cracking at the same time.  I hear the emotions of a man.  Of a soul that is still in hurt, but slowly healing.

AA Bondy - The Heart is Willing.



The album starts with "The Heart is Willing."  It starts with the slow speed of a train, but as soon as you get on, you are off to the distance.  The bass strums constantly like the wheels turning and the drums beat along like the engine churning.  The song is the perfect intro for this album.  It gets you going, but doesn't speed off too fast.  It just lets you sit back and enjoy the escape of the small town you used to be stuck in.  For me the vast majority of the album is like the intro song.  This is not a folk record where you are going to be blown away by the guitar strums and a wailing voice.  This album is like a midnight walk alone on a country road contemplating what the hell is going on.  I find what I love about this album is exactly that.  I don't need to always know about the hardness of life.  I need to know about the soothing of time alone. Bondy provides you the escape of the hurt, the loss, and the love, without reminding you about it.  You don't look at the pictures of your past crying in the dark.  He allows you to remember the moments but as a glancing moment.  I find I ponder, but not too long on my life when I listen to him.  "Believers" reminds me of winter and the chill and frost, but also of the warmth of the house.

AA Bondy - Drmz



While "Believers" is Bondy's latest endevour, it is also his best work so far.  With a hauntingly beautiful voice, as well as the honesty of life in his songs, I am happy to have stumbled across him.  I'm sure that in the moments of my life where I need a song for the fireplace on that cold winter day or for when I need the freshness of the crisp fall night air, he will always be available to help console and soothe me.

AA Bondy - Believers

1."The Heart is Willing"
2."Down in the Fire (Lost Sea)"
3."Skull & Bones"
4."123 Dupuy Street"
5."Surfer King"
6."Hiway/Fevers"
7."Drmz"
8."The Twist"
9."Rte. 28/Believers"
10."Scenes from a Circus"

No comments:

Post a Comment