Thursday, February 28, 2013

A is for Abstract Tribe Unique "Mood Pieces"

Sorry for the absence, but today will feature a couple of albums.  So for beginners, here is Tuesdays.




Abstract Tribe Unique - Mood Pieces
 
 

Released in 1997, Abstract Rude released the album "Mood Pieces" with the help of his producer Fat Jack.  I listened to this album Monday night while trying to figure out what I was going to say about it.  On Tuesday night after work, instead of sitting down and focusing, I went to a nearby chill spot, Soul Gastrolounge.  Each Tuesday, they have a funk and soul night done by two guys I've gotten to know, Brad Pressley and Shanti Love Moore.  If you are ever in Charlotte, then you need to make this one of your official stops.  These guys play dope old school funk and soul.  It's a chill, chill night and that is why I always go.  While there, I was discussing this blog with Brad and talking to him about this album.



In our discussion about music and life, I told him about this album and what frustrates me about it.  During the late 90s, there were many artist emerging from the west coast that had a completely different influence than many Northerners.  The largest being laid back jazz.  The greatest example for the old heads would be listening to Digable Planets.  While they aren't really west coast, their sound soon became embodied by many cats from the left coast.  In listening to this album, this is what I hear predominately throughout.  While talking with Brad, I also found that one of the things that this album presents to me is a constant feel of a spoken word poetry slam with a background beat.  While a specific number of tracks done in this form is genius, a whole album of it is very tiresome.  The best way I can describe this (for you jazz fans) is that when you hear a jazz album, you do not want hear the same beat production for each jam.



Mood Pieces is a decent album.  I respect where Abstract Rude comes from.  He is presented the counter to the 90s West Coast music theme, that is, the "gansta" rap sound.  He is socially conscious and trying to find a way to enlighten his peers and listeners.  I can hear also the influence he has provided for other cats who have followed over the last decade.  While I appreciate it, I just find the album to be too mellow.  It's not that the album needs a heavy hitter or club banger, that's not his style.  What it needs is a change of tempo.  Something just slightly faster to help prevent lulling to sleep the listener.  That being said, if I were trying to teach someone about the awesome variety of music and what it can truly say, then I would have them listen to this album.  While the current form of music is more of a manufactured, factory sound, there is always the sound of reality out there.  That is what Abstract Tribe Unique presents.  I recall in my college years listening to "different," non-radio hip hop.  I was amazed by my personal enlightenment.  This is was ATU does for music.  They provide the enlightenment that people need.

There are many who don't appreciate hip-hop because all they know is the media story, movie life, radio played versions of it.  If they found the time to listen to what is just below the surface, then they would find the beauty of what hip hop is and can be.  While I know that maybe writing a review of this album should have been the focus, it is hard for me to listen to this album and not get emotional about two types of music I love, hip hop and jazz.

In truth, this album does not impress me.  Abstract's vocals are repetitive, even though the lyrics flow effortlessly.  At the same time, his messages are more important than anything else.  This I respect.  The down tempo of the album is a nice change, but 18 tracks of it gets very mundane.  What does impress me, is the patience, practice, and dedication to a genre without forcing a commericalization of sound.  The fact that he is true to himself throughout is the most commendable thing about him.

If you are trying to find out about true hip-hop, the kind of hip-hop that cats like me argue about when discussing the difference between hip-hop and rap, then this is what you should listen to.  If you want to understand what the influences of the left side of the country are like, then you most definitely need to listen to this.  Not because of the message it presents, but because of what it says.





Next up: Aceyalone "All Balls Don't Bounce"

No comments:

Post a Comment